Giant Tent Marks 133rd Anniversary

by Jay Wintermeyer

The 1890 meeting tent had one center pole.

By 1915, the UCC Camp Meeting in Spokane met in a tent with two main poles. 

The 1917 event added a large rising bell. 

The 1923 tent for the Spokane UCC Camp Meeting had three main support poles.

The tent used this year for the 2012 Camp Meeting is reportedly the largest in Eastern Washington. It has four main support poles.

SPANGLE, Wash. - UCC Camp Meeting is under way in the largest tent in Eastern Washington. According to Spokane county officials, the mammoth 19,000 square-foot tent is the biggest temporary structure of it’s kind in the Inland Northwest.

The tent is part of the 133rd annual Seventh-day Adventist camp meeting, a tradition started in 1879. Adventists from around the Northwest gather each spring for a time of worship and inspiration, equipping members for Christian service.

Over the years, Northwest Seventh-day Adventists have meet in a variety of tents, the earliest documented one is from 1890. 

The camp meeting, located on the grounds of Upper Columbia Academy in Spangle, Wash., is open to the public and features meetings for all ages. More than 2,500 people are expected to attend this weekend. 

Locally, the Seventh-day Adventist Church has more than 25,000 members, 132 churches and 28 schools in the region.

Additional Content

High Resolution Tent Photo 1 - The tent used this year for the 2012 Camp Meeting is reportedly the largest in Eastern Washington. It has four main support poles.
Photo credit: Brent Hardinge

High Resolution Tent Photo 2 - Camp meetings have been an annual tradition for local Seventh-day Adventists for 133 years. In 1915, the event lined a local street.

High Resolution Tent Photo 3 - The 1923 tent for the Spokane UCC Camp Meeting had three main support poles. The new tent used this year features four.

High Resolution Tent Photo 4 - Area Adventists pose for a photo during the 1923 camp meeting in Spokane.

High Resolution Tent Photo 5 - Seventh-day Adventists have been holding annual camp meetings since 1879. Early photos from 1915 show the tent city surrounding the main meeting tent.